Infant of Prague Costume Pattern
Infant of Prague Costumes
Here are some simple instructions for making Infant of Prague costumes.
This costume pattern uses 2 circles cut from cloth. One circle becomes the inner gown while the other becomes the outer robe. Because you measure your statue to get the dimensions you need, this pattern works for any size statue.
- Measure the distance from your statue's shoulders to its base. Add 1 inch. This measure becomes the radius for a circle you'll cut from your two cloth pieces.
- Cut the two cloth circles, then cut the one you want to use for the outer robe in half.
- Stitch the half-circle to the full circle.
- Make a slit or circular cutout in the center so you can slip the gown over the Infant's head.
- Use a snap or button in the front to tighten the head opening so the gown doesn't slip off the shoulders.
- Once you've slipped the gown on, cut slits in the inner gown for the Infant's arms.
- Use ribbon or braided trim to hide and protect all the raw-cut edges.
- When you put the gown on your statue, push the under gown back at the sides and fold the outer robe forward.
You may want to experiment with tissue paper in 2 colors to see how the finished outfit will look and create a pattern. Once you've mastered the basics, you can get as fancy as you like with trim and decoration.